Moving your office interstate? Preparing for an office move can be quite challenging and stressful. Usually, the workflow should continue without trouble while packing, so you have to organize well. The main challenge is to pack up the documents properly, so nothing is missing or mislaid. Besides, you’ll need most of the documentation at hand until the moving day. And, those papers should be packed both quickly and duly. If you don’t know how to pack them up, don’t worry. Heart Moving New York City prepared you a guide on packing documents for an interstate office move. Using this guide will help you stay organized and destressed.
How to organize your office documents for an interstate relocation
Before you start packing documents for an interstate office move, you should organize your documents. This will help you decide your priorities and continue working without interruption. So, here’s an example:
- Obtain important moving documents and forms: this kind of paperwork should be gathered before you start packing your office documents. Contact your office movers Manhattan to find out what documents do you need for your interstate move.
- Make a list of your documents: sort out the documentation and decide what to pack first.
- Downsize: based on the list you’ve made, declutter your documents.
- Purchase packing supplies: find appropriate packaging that will protect your documents from damage.
- Keep your most sensitive documents with you: pack an essential document file where you’ll keep your most valuable office documents as well as your relocation paperwork. Have them always at hand.
- Create a backup of your computer: moving computers and laptops is challenging. They can be damaged during the relocation. So, make sure you have a backup of your documents. Use external drivers or USB devices for backups.
A list of important documents for your interstate office relocation
When it comes to moving your office interstate, there are a lot of essential documents to gather. If you plan to hire interstate movers in NYC, make sure to prepare all the necessary documents. Your movers will provide you with the list of required documents you’ll need. Here’s one such list:
- Moving estimate: it includes transportation services, packing, storage, insurance, and other services. There are three types of moving estimates: non-binding, binding binding-not to-exceed, and binding estimate.
- Inventory list: the list of your belongings is important since it’s the basis of your estimate.
- Bill of lading: it represents a binding contract between you and your mover.
- Valuation options: these are insurance options. You can get a released value or full-value replacement coverage in case of any damage.
- Order of service: it includes estimate details and moving dates.
- Right and responsibilities: According to FMCSA, your movers must provide you with this document, so you can understand what are your rights and your responsibilities.
- Statement of services: It’s the final bill you’ll receive after relocating.
- IRS form 309: used for tax deductions.
After you have prepared all the necessary documents for an interstate relocation, it’s time to start packing your office documents. Let’s see where to start from.
Packing documents for an interstate move: where to start from?
When moving your office documents, it may be hard to decide where to start packing from since you need, more or less, all of your documents to continue working until the moving day. However, there are some tips and tricks on how to pack your documents in the right order. For example, start packing the ones that are in your archive. Then, pack the ones you know you aren’t going to use in the next few weeks. However, sort the documents you’ll need until the moving day in fascicles and other folders. This way, you’ll have them always at hand but also ready to be packed in a box when the moving time comes. Once you have sorted out and backed up your documents, it’s time to pack them. So, purchase the necessary packing supplies.
What packing supplies to use?
- File folders
- Bubble wrap
- Stretch wrap
Packing documents for an interstate office move
Pack your documents in a logical way. Sort them out into categories such as financial paperwork, reports, and other categories. Put them in a file folder and then put the file folders in a box. There are many types of moving boxes you can use. Here’s the list:
- Economy box
- Economy box with a lid
- File storage box
- Quick file box
- Storage drawer box
- Roll storage box
- Flip-top box
- Heavy-duty box
Besides using boxes, you can also use your file cabinets. Just make sure to secure them from opening. Use plastic wrap and tape to fix them. This way, you won’t have to repack the documents, and you’ll save time for packing and space in the moving truck. For faster and less stressful packing, use NYC packing services. Your movers will provide you with all the packing materials, and they will pack your documents in no time. If you use professional packing services, you won’t have to search for the supplies yourself. Also, you won’t wonder whether you bought the right ones or whether you have enough supplies. What’s more, you can focus on the work.
Purge as you pack
Packing documents for an interstate office move is the perfect time to downsize the paperwork, especially the archive. Go through your business archive, check thoroughly all the archives documents and declutter the ones you are not legally bound to keep anymore. But you can also purge the ones that are no longer necessary for the work. Tell your employees to sort their documents and get rid of the ones they do not need. Use a paper shredder. Also, scan any documents you must keep, or you may need just in case. You can use an external hard drive or any other method that suits you best.
How to pack documents for storage?
If you are going to use a storage unit before relocation, it’s important to secure the boxes additionally. To make sure your documents are safe from damage such as moisture and mildew, use some waterproof material and wrap the file folders and boxes. You can also use bubble wrap or plastic wrap. Make sure the boxes are well sealed. Also, don’t forget to label the boxes. Need storage space? Use our storage in Manhattan. By using our storage, you can be sure your boxes will be protected from any type of damage. Our storage units are well maintained, climate-controlled, and most importantly, secured with the best security systems.
Packing documents for an interstate office move is now easier with Heart Moving
You don’t have to worry about packing documents for an intestate office move. Hear Moving is here to help. Contact us today, get your moving estimate, and pack your documents like a pro. Let our movers do the most daunting relocation task and continue working without interruption until the moving day. Have a safe and smooth relocation free from any stress.