How to prepare for moving from NYC to SF
If you are moving from NYC to SF, prepare yourself for great weather, a lot of opportunities for employment and rich social life. With people generally being hospitable in San Francisco, the only thing you should do is pack your stuff and hop on a plane. If you are worried about this moving company you should choose, we can gladly recommend the reliable Heart moving company. We will help you prepare for the big move with excellent simple tips.
Start on time
The reality is that flights and moving companies are very busy on the relation between New York and San Fran. It is very important to prepare your long-distance move on time. That is why you should arrange your move at least two months ahead. This is the only way you will be sure that your items and you will arrive in San Francisco on time. Set the date well in advance, and then you can proceed with other preparations.
Choose a reliable moving company
There are several things you should focus on before choosing a professional moving company.
- Recommendations – If you have a relative or a friend who has moved recently, get in touch with them and find out how did their experience go. This is one of the best ways to find a reliable company as you will be able to hear whether there were some problems and how they were solved. Preparation is everything when moving from NYC to SF.
- Moving reviews – Nowadays, with almost all moving companies having a site online, it has become immensely easier to check reviews about the companies. However, you should be aware of the reviews that are too good to be true as they may be fake. The same thing applies to negative comments, as they may just be written by some spiteful competitor.
- Compare moving quotes – Before finally choosing a moving company for your moving, make sure to compare the prices with at least five moving companies. In this way, you will be able to estimate exactly the right price for the services that you will use. There is absolutely no reason why you should be paying more when you can choose affordable yet reputable movers in, for example, Upper East Side moving company.
Pack the essentials
Do you think you will ever have a better opportunity to declutter than when you are moving from NYC to SF? Now is the perfect time to get rid of the things you no longer use. Bear in mind that the cost of moving will be significantly lower if you have fewer things to relocate. With this in mind, you can proceed with decluttering in one of the following ways:
- Have a garage sale – You can make a garage sale and earn a few bucks before you make your move. Or if you do not want to bother with a yard sale, you should sell your items online, it is equally as useful.
- Donate – Donating your items is always a good choice, no matter if you are moving or not. Make someone else happy by giving them your own items that you no longer need.
- Throw away – If it is broken or it cannot be sold, donated or used in any way, go ahead and throw it in the container. You will feel relieved and happy like a burden was just taken off of your chest. We should not get too attached to material items, especially when you are moving from New York.
Before you start moving from NYC to SF, make sure to cancel all your subscriptions to magazines. However, there is more to this. You should change the address so that all your mail is redirected to SF. You should do this approximately two weeks before the move. Don`t forget to cancel the utilities like water, electricity, etc, as you will not be using that anymore. Maybe now is a good time to ask your friends to help you relocate.
Find a place to live in SF
One of the most important things you should prepare before you move is to find a new home. The prices for rent are even higher than in New York, so you should arrange this first. Whether you will be living in a house or in an apartment, the important thing is to find a new dream place to live in that will fit your needs perfectly.
When moving from NY to SF prepare for the weather
When you are moving from NYC to SF, you should know that the weather in SF is much better than the one in New York. With a mild climate and the same temperature all year around, you will quickly get used to this. Another thing you do not have to bring with you from New York is clothes. Leave your sweater and heavy coats behind you, as the temperature here is usually around 23 degrees. The snowy days are behind you, so buckle up.
Throw a goodbye party
The last but certainly not the least thing is to throw a goodbye party. Invite all of your friends and family and say farewell to your old life. A very important thing to remember is not to throw a goodbye party the day before you leave. That day you will be too hectic and you will probably be already too emotional, so the party may not be a huge success. The best time for a party with your friends is a week and a half before your departure. Once you finish with this last piece of preparation for moving from NYC to SF, you will be all ready to go. Good luck!