New beginnings are never easy. This is especially true if you are moving to New York. Large cities seem less warm and welcoming, but that does not have to be the case all the time! We have prepared a short guide about how to make your new house feel like home in NYC! We hope it helps!
Do your old routine!
The best way to feel like home is to do things you did at home! Moving to New York is fun and everything, but you need to make it your new home! For example, do some of the following!
- Daily habits – All of us have some habits we do. If you went to bed at 02:00 AM in your previous home, do it in NYC as well! Wake up when you used to wake up, hit the gym when you used to, etc. It will help a lot!
- Invite friends over – Nothing like friends to make you feel at home, right? Find some ways of keeping in touch with your friends and invite them over! Do it as soon as you arrive, it will make you feel at home!
- Bring back memories – Before you move, make sure to pack all the items that will bring back your memories! For example, remember that shiny stone your best friend bought you in New Orleans? Make sure not to forget it at your old home!
It is not easy to make your house feel like home in NYC
Sometimes, NYC can seem cold and distant, especially to newcomers! There are some challenges for first-time NYC renters you need to be aware of. The list is short, but significant!
- New York is different – This is true in so many ways! If you are not used to constant traffic jams and being late all the time, then New York might be hard for you. It is one of the largest cities in the world, always expect to be in a hurry somewhere!
- You won’t have much time – Time is the key factor of New York City! Expect never to have enough time for your daily activities. You might need to go to work more than one hour early just to be sure to make it on time. It might be hard at first, but we know you can do it!
- The move itself – Moving to New York City is not easy in general. Even if you find a home, who knows if it would suit you. Check some Manhattan storage options beforehand and find the best option. Who knows, it might help make your house feel like home in NYC!
While New York City offers a lot of benefits, it is sometimes hard to get started there. Not to mention the fact that it is not easy to make your house feel like home in NYC due to the aforementioned reasons. However, it is all a part of your daily routine! If you think you can do it – you can do it! Just remember, home is where your heart is! Learn how to love New York, and every house you own there will feel like home!